BRCATrue (Pathway Genomics) Dallas
BRCATrue – Among women, breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death. One in eight women will be affected by breast cancer in their lifetime.
Pathway Genomics’ BRCATrueTM is a next-generation sequencing test that searches for mutations in BRCA1 andBRCA2 genes. Having mutations in either the BRCA1 or theBRCA2 gene significantly increases a patient’s risk for breast, ovarian and other types of cancer.
The test is best suited for individuals with either a history of early onset breast or ovarian cancer or a strong family history of breast and/or ovarian cancer. Individuals with the following medical or family history factors should consider testing for mutations in BRCA1/2:
- Early onset breast cancer (under 50 years of age)
- Bilateral or multiple breast cancers
- Diagnosed with both breast and ovarian cancer
- Family history of breast and/or ovarian cancer
- Two or moreBRCA1 or BRCA2-related cancers in a single family member
- Male breast cancer within family
- Ashkenazi Jewish ethnic background
Why Do BRCA Testing?
- Guide decisions on prevention strategies (e.g. chemoprevention, prophylactic surgery)
- Increase surveillance for breast cancer
- Inform treatment decisions
- Identify family members at increased risk