Menopause: What Can a Girl Do?
Menopause doesn’t have to feel like cruel and unusual punishment. It can be a wonderful turning point in your life where you decide to become better with age. Easier said than done though when you’re suffering from night sweats, hot flashes, mood swings, and insomnia. Also, should we even mention hair? Apparently during menopause nothing escapes it’s reach from the top of your head to the bottom of your chiny-chin-chin.
First, let’s understand what we are dealing with. Ironically, menopause only lasts one day. The term refers to the day you haven’t had a period for 12 months in a row. The symptoms that you’ve been treading through are actually from perimenopause, the time leading up to menopause. As if symptoms aren’t enough, the lowered estrogen levels from perimenopause impact the body in multiple ways such as:
- Heart disease
- Increased wrinkling of the skin
- Poor muscle tone
- Poor brain function and increased risk of Alzheimer’s disease
A healthy lifestyle has been proven to make a dramatic impact on menopausal symptoms. These strategies are your first line of defense, and can be put into action before symptoms even begin.
- Eat well, avoid sugar and trans fat and focus on whole foods
- Vitamin D, ask your doctor about supplementing
- Ease stress, incorporate relaxation and an enjoyable activity into your daily routine
- Exercise, you’ll have fewer symptoms plus the added benefits of losing body fat and maintaining bone mass
- Restful Sleep, create a relaxing bedtime routine
- Bioidentical hormones, ask your doctor if they are a good choice for you
You do not have to suffer in silence or feel that menopause means the end of your vim and vigor. You can utilize healthy lifestyle changes and a positive attitude to help you relieve perimenopausal symptoms and fully enjoy this stage of life.